Thursday, December 10, 2009

5 questions for... Simon Baker

Brits know what good house is. And Leeds resident Simon Baker knows it particularly well. He has been releasing music since 2005 on labels as diverse as Infant, 20:20 Vision, Playhouse, Connaisseur, Get Physical, Leftroom and Murmur, and has surprised many montrealers with a solid and groovy DJ set at Piknic Électronik in 2008.



Q – You’ve been in Montreal before, for Piknic in 2008. How was that experience, overall?

Simon Baker: Yeah, I loved the gig and the people were great. Unfortunately, I didn't get much of a chance to see any of the city. Maybe this time I will! I hear it's amazing.

Q – What’s your current favorite city to play in?

SB: You may think this is weird, but its my hometown of Leeds in the UK, at the moment. The people are very into the music here, very switched on, no one is afraid to have it BIG, it's my home crowd. I love it! Other favorites are L.A. on the Standard Hotel rooftop... amazing! And Romania is always a good one.



Q – You’ve released your productions on lots of different labels from the start. Why can’t you stick to just one?

SB: I like to keep things varied in my life, with everything. I don't see the point in sticking with one thing. Explore new avenues and new doors opened is the way I see it. It's worked for me so far.

Q – How did you like your Miami experience at WMC last year? Are you planning on going again this year?

SB: Miami was in the middle of a month of touring in the US. If I am honest, I was a ruined man before I even got there, but I still had fun. I am debating this, next year, whether to go or not - I say this now, but I will no doubt be there! I've liked the vibe over the past 2 or 3 years.



Q – What are your plans for the near future?

SB: I am working hard in the studio on my album, at the moment. It will be released in 2010 on 20:20 Vision. Other than this, I am busy with tours of Central America and the U.S again in January, Australia in March, and the usual European gigs - and hopefully throw in a few dance floor bangers in between!

Simon will be performing a DJ set at Salon Daomé on December 15th for the Microzoo night, with opening sets by Nathan Burns & Clifford Brown.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home