Sunday, December 06, 2009

5 questions for... Tomas Barfod

Tomas Barfod is a multi-talented man. His debut EP, 1995, was released on Get Physical in 2004, and he's been unstoppable ever since. Some people might be surprised to learn that he is the shadowy figure behind the analog god Tomboy. On top of all that, he also plays drums for WhoMadeWho.



Q - You are a man of many identities. Tomboy, Tomas Barfod, Filur, and you also play drums for Whomadewho. How are you able to decide which style fits to which persona ?

Thomas Barfod: It's actually pretty easy, because with the projects I have with other people, the music often ends up as a democracy between my partners and me. My Tomboy name is for more experimental and retro sounding music.... It started with my acid / disco series on Gomma. Tomas Barfod is a name I use for Get Physical and Turbo releases, which are a bit more clubby and electronic, and less 'warm' than the Tomboy stuff.

Q - You went from producing cold electro acid numbers under your real name, like your early Turbo and Get Physical releases, but your latter productions with Fredski have shown a housier edge. Is that a direction we'll see you take more ?

TB: Yes, you are right - the new stuff on GPM is definitely more housy and fun than my older releases. However, if you listen to Tomas Barfod tracks like Girlfriends, Saturdaya and 1995, they still have a bit of irony and funk - with cowbells, and guitars... it's not just electro. For my future releases, you never now where I'll end...



Q - I heard (Twitter) rumors that you were starting to work on a new Whomadewho album. Can you tell us more about it ?

TB: I can tell you that we have been in the studio for a week now, and it's some of the most exciting stuff I have heard from us, ever... We already have made a lot during these few days... You never know, as the process is only at the beginning, but I really expect a lot from it. The sound is 30% epic techno, 30% 50s and 60s r'n'b, 30% old school WhoMadeWho disco, and 10% pop.

Q - You often update your Facebook status while playing. Do you think that technology such as iPhones is now a useful self-promotion tool ?

TB: Yes, I think it has been a fun and sometimes powerful tool for me. Sometimes, when I meet people in clubs, they are very informed about my projects - which is a good thing!



Q - What's next for you after the much excellent Mr. Fleurquin release ?

TB: I'm putting different EPs together, with different Danish friends - Fredski and I always have something exciting up our sleeve, and besides that I'm working with my friend Kasper Bjørke, and with two kids I discovered... they are 15 and 16 years old, and are making the most amazing deep techno - expect James Holden meets Supermayer...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home