Tuesday, September 01, 2009

5 questions for... Till Von Sein

Till Von Sein, whose real name is Jan Till Lüdtke, has been a sure shot for deep house and tech on the German scene since he started working with Aera in 2006. With recent collaborations with Chopstick and Tigerskin, and releases on Dirt Crew and Baalsaal, you can expect to hear a lot more from him in the future.



You're constantly labeled as "the deep house guy" by the press and in the promo documents your labels send. Do you ever get tired of being strictly categorised, and do you think that an aspect of your personality drives you towards deep music?
A bit, yeah. I would love to be labeled as a simple "house" dude... but in the end it's OK. My first records are really deep, and I'm a big fan of deep music - when I'm at home and start working on new tracks, most of the time I end up doing deep stuff... That's just the stuff which comes out naturally. But from time to time I get funky and try to do work that's more "floor orientated". It really depends on my personal mood... When it comes to DJ gigs, sometimes people are a bit suprised that I also play stuff like Lauhaus or more disco stuff like Prins Thomas. I really like to keep it open minded when it comes to DJing.

You have recently completed a EP with Tigerskin - can you tell us more about this collaboration?
I met Alex (Tigerskin) because he wanted to release a track of mine for his own label 2 and a half years ago... From that point on, he always did a mixdown of all the stuff I produced. I'm a huge fan of his work, and as a person he is the coolest cat around... So down to earth... We are vibin' perfectly together. We got similar feelings on music, politics, women... For me, it was a big honor to work with him, and he is a bit of a teacher to me, with all his knowledge. He's got so much nice equipement, and I feel like a little kid when entering his studio, because I've got none at all!



You have played Salon Daomé, in Montreal, last year. How did you like the city?
It was amazing. I mean, the club was dope, the crowd perfect, really cool residents - but all the rest was fantastic as well, I'm glad I had such nice hosts, and can't wait to meet these guys again! We went to the nice park where you can overview the whole city... stunning! I'm really looking forward to my stay this time, not like last time where I only came for one night. We wanna go to Piknic, where James Holden is playing, and I hope I can visit the countryside as well...



What are your views on the important place that modern house is now taking on the electronic scene in Europe?
I'm really, really happy about it. There is a big wave of talent from all over the place, and due to Facebook, Skype and these types of social networks, it's a nice community... Sometimes I get like 5 tracks a week of friends and think: "Damn, they are all doing such good tracks, I need to work hard as well". But besides Europe, I'm also a big fan of the U.S. stuff. There are so many great producers around, pushing things forward, like the whole Wolf & Lamb clique. These are good days for house music, and it's really exciting to see things develop. It's also wonderful that in some clubs, you can play really deep stuff, around 120 Bpm, and people start dancing and love it... Solid good times.



Your 5 favorite tracks of the moment?
Chris Carrier - I'm in love today
Adam Port - Chemistry
Soulclap - Dreams (edit)
Gadi Mizrahi - Who's gonna love me tonight
Sasse - Reject my love
Three times the word "love"... wow... I didn't realise before I wrote it down... Good times!

Till Von Sein will perform alongside Fizz Factory's Max Reynold's at Beat Boutique on Sunday September 6th at Salon Daomé.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home