Tuesday, December 01, 2009

8 questions for... DJ SNEAK!

It's not quite often that you get the opportunity to chat with an artist as influencial to a genre of music as DJ Sneak has been for house music over the years. As I was thinking about what questions to ask him, I was listening to my old copy of his 1997 Buggin' Da Beats mixed cd and have to say I was taken back to GREAT memories... 12 years later, he has a new album out that is banging!!! Also, Sneak was nice enough to send Mirrorballs.ca a preview of his upcoming video and it is SMOKING HOT! ENJOY!!!


Mirrorballs: Ok, you've surprised us this year with an amazing record called "The house of house" that contains 20 tracks of banging crazy beats. Did the last few years of electro, minimal, etc. give you that much inspiration to produce such a big "statement" record?

SNEAK: Well the state of music is still suffering with badly produced music and a saturated market. I decided that it was time for me to get serious and get my stuff out. I feel that I stay true to my sound and my production is accurate. I am who I am, and have always been that person, I feel like I survived the madness and fakeness of the last 7 years and now I’m shinning again like a new found Diamond in the ruff.

You're in the middle of a world tour that will take you all over Europe and America to spread the good news around. What has been the response so far?

SNEAK: The vibe and response has been great, people are ready for a change and good times again. I’ve been playing a lot of gigs and the house heads have certainly been keeping me busy. I love seeing people enjoy the soul and groove of house music … It’s kind of hard to not have a good time when good house music is bumpin!!

Is house music really alive again?

SNEAK: Hell Yeah, House is back, listen to what all the top European guys like Luciano , Ricardo Villalobos & Loco Dice are playing, this has been the year that people are demanding better music. The musical revolution is on the way my friend.



Was there ever a down point in the "dark" years where you thought you would have to do something else with your life ?

SNEAK: NO, I know myself, I knew I was going to have another piece of the pie soon enough. My never ending amount work and music is what keeps me going and to tell you the truth I survived like I always do, I’m consistant and always motivated, I know my role and that is to LEAD so I’m doing it now again.

You've collaborated with German techno greats such as Ricardo Villalobos which you've become friends with that have been embracing the Chicago sounds recently. Has these new friendships and encounters inspired you to push your sound to new directions in any way?

SNEAK: It’s been great to meet other DJS and Producers that are underground like myself, the Ricardo encounter was dope cause we had known of each other for years, we played same events but not the same rooms. I have respect for a lot of these German brothers that have also helped get “house music” back in the main rooms, they know I’m a Purist and an innovator and they love that, I respect the fact that they have also pushed their sound and music and now we can elaborate with each other and push each other for a better musical experiences.



What about old friends that have disappeared with house music's downfall. Are there any of them you'd like to see back in the game ?

SNEAK: I can’t speak on what DJ's from the past are doing with themselves today, I know that a lot of them thought the “gravy train” was forever and many have dropped out and gotten normal Jobs and lifestyles. Many people did not plan for the future as I did, I can only speak on what I’m doing for my Music and my fans, I have stayed true always and that is showing big time again.

Are there any new artists that inspire you that we should be looking out for in the near future, any labels that are on your hot list ?

SNEAK: There are lots of people out there doing the do, I have many on the lookout but not trying to single a few out the bunch, Music is what is important not the DJS PERSONAS or the FAME factor that has damaged the scene for so long. Focus on the music not the persona and you will find great music being released from all over the world.

What's next for DJ Sneak?

More DJ SNEAK, more hard work, more innovation for the world and most def more “HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG!”

We couldn't agree MORE!!! Speaking of innovations, check out Sneak's upcoming video preview :



D
J SNEAK ON MYSPACE
DJ SNEAK'S HOMEPAGE

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home