Wednesday, July 22, 2009

5 questions for... Jay Haze

The man behind Contexterrior and TuningSpork, two atypical labels churning out unique dance music, is a man that has gone through a lot. Jay Haze is a controversial figure in dance music, a very outspoken and real man, who defies categorisation. The driving force behind the Fuckpony project took a few minutes off his busy schedule to tell us about his latest fights.



How does one feel running two labels (Contexterrior & TuningSpork) in 2009, when the music industry is in a perpetual crisis ?
I feel great and love the challenge. TuningSpork has always been about slow growth and quality control (hence why we only have had 48 releases in 10 years), and with Contexterrior I'm really satisfied to see it grow into an artists' label, rather than being locked into a specific sound. On both labels I've been blessed to have such great artists, so in a way I feel lucky we're still going strong! No doubt, the crisis will pass...

In a related matter, you released a triple album last year, Love & Beyond, that you gave away for free on your website. Why would a successful artist struggling in a difficult industry do such a thing ?
Music is for sharing. It has real powers and promotes understanding. I just didn't want this album I worked so hard on, and put so much love into, to come to the point where people even thought about money. I thought: "Wouldn't it be great if they could just listen without the pressure of stores, sales people, credit cards ?"
The most important thing for me was that people felt good, and that is what the album is about. On another note, I would gladly say... I hardly care about money or gaining wealth, it is a belief system I feel corrupts everything. Therefore, whenever I can do something outside of that system, I of course will.



You have also set up a global movement for DJs to give away some money to relief groups helping with the situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (detailed on the TuningSpork homepage). Can you tell us a little bit about it ?
It is just a small effort really, but one that I believe can have a profound impact. If we come to understand that each of us offering a little help can collectively make big changes, nearly anything is possible. This is the first step towards such projects. The plan is to get as many DJs and performers out there in the electronic music scene to donate half their fee from one gig, from September until the end of the year. I ask them to think of it as time rather than money. We need as many people as possible involved, and are open to new ideas! The situation in the DRC is one to truly spend a little time to reflect on. Part of the reasons why they are in the situation they are in is because we so desire the luxuries and technology that depend on DRC. The point is that the artists don't need to be pros on the political situation there, they just have to be passionate about helping people. And these people need it! Children slaves, sexually abused adolescent females, daily starvation, water poisoning... it's so sad.

The electronic music industry and club universe are often qualified as "superficial". What made you decide to make a difference by using the position you're in to help out those in need ?
I'm really happy to still be alive, with that being said this is just what I wanna do with my life. It's a passion and I am trying to make it a reality. I like the club world and I love to party, but it is nothing that defines me, I enjoy myself and stay conscious at the same time. The point is - there is really much more in life than having a "hit" house or techno record. When you get older and see things as they are, it's very clear.... Get something else going on to keep the love still flowing, because you never want your living to depend on your passion alone (I think this how passion dies... maybe?).



You have crafted a unique sound over the years, making one of your tracks or remixes almost instantly recognisable. Do you feel you've achieved all your musical goals, or is there a lot more left to do ?
I feel like I've progressed in a good fashion. Still learning new things all the time, and really open to new influences. I'm not the type of guy who would ever say I've reached my musical goals, because honestly I have no musical goals in any traditional sense. My main goal with music is to connect people. And until EVERYONE is connected, I'll still keep trying!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous dj thomas said...

spoke like a true altruist, I really like your music and will do it more after this.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely!

Friday, July 24, 2009 7:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good interview, seems like a cool guy

Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home