Wednesday, July 15, 2009

5 questions for... Alex Under



Alex Under has been representing Spain for quite some time on the international scene. Crafting a very precise sound, his unique techno has found a home on labels such as Trapez and Plus8, and also through Cmyk, his own label.

How's the scene in Madrid ?
It's been great for a few years now, in terms of artists and labels. But not as good as before in terms of nightlife and clubs - there are a few good parties still, but not as many as there should be in a city that big. Anyway, it is different for a resident artist, I'm more critical and less objective. But I know foreign artists love to come play over.

You played Piknic Electronik last year. How did you like it ?
It was absolutely perfect. I fell in love with Montreal during my first gig at Mutek, and I was expecting lots of fun, and it just went over my expectations. I loved the concept of the party, and the atmosphere was just unbeatable... I was really happy when I received the invitation to play again this year.

You've been developing a unique brand of, dare I say, very "mathematical" techno. Where are you going with this ? Were you inspired by precise artists ?
Well, that's hard to say, even hard to know. I've been pushing a little bit more lately, going a bit faster and less organic than before, much colder. But I'm just going through a "U-turn" right now, or more like a reset - I want to take it from where I started in the first place, review what I did and try to draw it again, but with the perspective I have now. I've been playing straight live sets for the last five years, but some months ago I started using a different performance live, as well as a DJ set, so I'm having much more input from other artists, something I was also missing.



Is there a label you've been dreaming of releasing on ?
Not really - my dreams were more based on creating a label which people would dream of releasing on. But of course, I was happy when I released on Trapez and Plus8... both are labels I did admire and still do.

If you could take 5 albums with you on a spaceship, what would they be ?
Rosa - Thomas Brinkmann
Headhunters - Herbie Hancock
Georgia is like spiritual tokyo - TBA
...and justice for all - Metallica
Dispositivos de mi granja - Alex Under (this one just in case I find someone out there with the spaceship)

Alex Under will perform at Piknic Électronik on July 19th alongside Damian Schwartz, Vincent Lemieux and Mossa.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home