Monday, July 20, 2009

6 questions for... Anja Schneider

After a much talked about set @ La Panthere Noire in Montreal earlier this year, Anja Schneider is back in town and will be rocking the new Parking alongside DJ Mini @ Overdose on July 23rd 2009. We had the pleasure of chatting with the Mobilee Records owner before her thursday night gig.

Anja Schneider says hello to Mirrorballs.ca:

Mirrorballs: As well as being a DJ, producing music, running a radio show and directing Mobilee records, you also attend the world’s biggest clubs and festivals year long. How do you manage your time?

Anja: I have a quite heavy time schedule, and I have a quite professional team around me. I work with my own booking agency, and they take care of my bookings, schedule and travels. And I have a label manager who takes care of the label and office work. But I'm still in the office every day. Traveling, playing and my radio show I have to do by myself, and the worst thing is, of course, all the traveling. But I love everything that I 'm doing so it’s no stress for me. Without passion it would make no sense.

M: You’re a very cosmopolitan person, but your music remains really organic, with a mix of natural and tribal sounds. Where do you find your inspiration?

A: Thanks, I take it as a compliment. I get most of my inspiration from different places of the world, from people I met while traveling and during gigs, and I still have a huge respect for music from Detroit and Chicago. But of course I have to pay attention to all the music, and this gives me new inspiration every day. But when I'm looking back, I have to say that my travels and my holiday in Mexico gave me the most.

M: You often work in partnership with other producers (Sebo K, Lee Van Dowski) – how is the production process going? Are you together in the same studio, or do each of you work separately?

A: I'm always working with a partner in the same studio, at the same time. Most lately for my album with Paul Brtschitsch . I need this interaction, I need a technical support, and at last it’s much more fun than being alone.

M: Except for several remixes, your label has only had releases from the same regular members (Sebo K, Gummihz, Pan-Pot). Don’t you want to enlarge the family?

A: I'm very proud that all my Mobilee artists have such a good quality output, and I'm happy that we are going well together. At this time, it would be difficult to enlarge the family, because we are limited with our release schedule. But anything is possible; we now have Hector (from Mexico) on board, and there will some other new artists popping up this year.


M: Mobilee has been very active on the web (Twitter, Facebook, Myspace) and even launched its own iPhone application. You are also organizing a lot of Mobilee showcases, and special Mobilee events. Can you talk about this successful communication strategy?

A: It’s all about having a good team, and people with great ideas. Nowadays it’s not enough to only make good records. You have to create more than that, and built up your image and profile. And at least if you have great people on board, you have to talk about this!


M: You will be performing in Montreal for the second time in 2009. What do you think of Montreal’s electronic scene, its musical atmosphere, and its importance on the international scale?


A: I love Montreal as a city, and I met great people there. I felt a big love for music, and a well educated crowd. I mean Parking is a great club, you have the Mutek Festival, and really sucessful Canadian artists. I 'm even surrounded by them in Berlin and I love to hang out with them.

Myspace.com/anjaschneider

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home