Saturday, February 04, 2006

Tommie Boy & Voyeuristic Launch

Yesterday at the S.A.T., a new monthly event called Voyeur, promoted by the Neon guys, was launched. They showcased Perplex & Lola's new stuff by programming a fashion show just before the gig, which is a nice promo move, considering that people from both "worlds" [namely fashion & electro, even tho the two usually go together] would be attracted to the event. Funny enough, Perplex & Lola marketed this as "their" event, in which they would have invited some other "promoters" to do a party to celebrate them. At least, that's the impression their flyer gave me.


Voyeur doesn't ring new to most jaded electro scenesters in Montreal. The ex weekly, that had been taking place at Blizzarts for a couple of years under the "Chemistry" moniker, and then under "Voyeur", was a cool gig to attend, if you didn't mind, of course, threading on Montreal's smallest dancefloor and inhale the equivalent of 10 000 cigarettes in one deep breath.

However, Bliss & Jordan Dare decided to call it history, move their gig to a bigger venue, and make it a monthly. That was a while ago, and they finally emerged out of their trance closet to launch the night with a bang : Tommie Sunshine.

The bearded guy showed up real slick just before beginning his set, and he proceeded to mix track after track of pure electro-rock madness, which I can't really recall because I was REALLY drunk at this point. A friend pointed out that his set really wasn't similar to the one he played at Piknic last summer, but I really cannot comment on that, since I don't think the role of an international DJ is to repeat himself all the time.


We had a blast during Jordan Dare's set, which was filled with the usual hits, and I wanted to show the SAT's only mirrorr-equiped bathroom to Phil, but when we went downstairs in the basement to check it out, I found out that they had turned the space into some seriously locked offices ! I mistook a corridor for the place we were looking for, and we ended up in some kind of storage / electrical room. There was no interuptor anywhere so we had to use my camera's flash to actually see the objects & walls we were bumping in. Oddly enough, I found a "Honey Time" cigarette pack on top of something, and it was full. We went back on the dancefloor and I proceeded to the distribution of my treasure stash. I even gave one to a friend that was still struggling with his addiction. Sorry, Bruce.


I still couldn't go through the whole night because as always with Neons, it was never-ending. We quit around 3 to get some cheap pizza on the way home and I realised, while emptying my camera on my computer, that I had taken 121 pictures.

Sorry, y'all.

Follow the links to find out more about DJ Bliss, Jordan Dare, Perplex & Lola, SAT, Tommie Sunshine, or Voyeur.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Benson said...

Ah... Tommie. He played Uffie's "Ready to Uff" right near the end of his set I think, while people were starting to leave. Was it even still him DJing ? Anyhow, first time I heard that track in Montréal.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 3:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home