Monday, January 02, 2006

No Excuse @ Balroom

On Sunday January 1st, I checked out Sean Kosa & Bender's new weekly "No Excuse" night at Balroom, featuring guest DJ Jordan Dare.


I got there around 11:30 and a mere $5 took care of entrance and coat check fees. Formerly known as Swimming, the place has been completely overhauled and redecorated. It's quite stylish and welcoming, built on levels and featuring a loud and efficient sound system, discreet lighting, comfortable seating, a nice view of St-Laurent and relatively cheap drinks for the area. On the flip side, the levels limit the dance floor to a rectangle the size of a small bedroom, which is kinda silly if you're going to call the place Balroom.

Anyhow, Cass & Mangan's "I Love Your Shoes" was playing - thanks to Mr Kosa – so the night definitely had promise. What really got my foot tappin' was his side-by-side mix of Miss Kittin & The Hacker's "Frank Sinatra" and Marc Romboy & Blake Baxter's "Freakin". Kosa continued with a nice selection ranging from minimal house to electro. Bender followed with a driving electro house set, and the night concluded with a too-rock-for-my-own-tastes set from Jordan Dare. His Neon set the previous night was infinitely better.

I'm generally pleased with my evening at Balroom and I'll probably go back next time I'm aching for some electro on a Sunday night.

You can find out what's going on at Balroom on their web site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home