Sunday, January 01, 2006

NYE Marathon: Alex Gopher + Digitalism @ SAT

I was so tired when I woke up Saturday that I couldn't possibly conceive doing anything demanding later on in the day... at first. Then, this strange urge to go out and celebrate the New Year yet again took over. I didn't quite understand it at first and I was beginning to question my sanity when I figured out what was going on.


Neon was calling my name, and I was going to answer the call.

I took a nap, drank some cold coffee, some more coffee - hot this time - and headed downtown while chugging down some Red Bull. By the time I got to the Société des Arts Technologiques I was feeling quite alright.
I Love Neon has been organizing parties in Montréal for a while now. This time around they invited Alex Gopher and Digitalism for their Neon Loves Paris New Year's Eve event. I didn't get a ticket in advance as I was a bit skeptical about the whole thing: Alex Gopher?

I had no trouble getting a ticket for Neon Loves Paris, and there was no line up to get into the SAT. After getting in Neon-ites were directed to the "Voyeur Lounge" that was set up on the second floor along with the coat check. I stayed there listening to Emmanuelle for about five seconds (no offense) before going down to the main room where Jordan Dare was already playing. I guess I missed Sean Kosa! Anyhow, Dare's selection was pretty good and aptly resumed what's been playing at Montréal's electro events for the last six month. Solid set, no surprises.

To dispense with the bulk of the criticism early on: the only thing that annoyed me a little was the constant flow of people walking around the room, disturbing those of us who tried to dance, as well as those few people who don't seem to understand that a dance floor is for dancing and not a proper place to stand still and drink beer. There ain't much you can do about that except not care, which is what we attempted and eventually succeeded at doing.

Like last month's LCD Soundsystem gig, Neon Loves Paris was a crowded event. The room was hot, people were sweaty, and water was a valuable commodity. Nice vibe and nice people made it all worthwhile, as usual. However, no New Year's countdown!
Gopher got on right after midnight and began spinning some solid electro tracks. Luckily, he completely stayed away from French touch (or whatever you wanna call "The Child"), and astounded us with some tracks seldom heard in Montréal. He concluded his set with "Fast Track" – an obvious but nonetheless effective pick from his own repertoire. I was pleasantly surprised by his set, so thumbs up for Alex Gopher.

Digitalism were fine too and drove mad beats 'til 3, keeping the crowd covered with sweat and sizzling.

Song of the night: Thomas Schumacher's "Heat It Up", played by Alex Gopher. As if we really needed more heat!

Alex Gopher & Digitalism were brought to Montréal by I Love Neon, and performed at the SAT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home