Monday, February 06, 2006

The Juan MacLean + Tim Sweeney + Duchess Says @ Club L'Ambi

For a moment, I really thought I was gonna hang out with these boys close to my place, allowing me to walk home afterwards, and be as drunk as I wanted to. But at the last minute, the gig was re-scheduled outta La Tulipe and into Club L'Ambi, a strange and rather large room on St-Laurent, near Mont-Royal.

I didn't want to be too early, since I knew it wouldn't be of any use to anybody - shows rarely start at the time they're supposed to, here in mighty Montreal, letting "late" people enjoy their share of the party... all the time. So I stayed at my place a bit & kept on sipping my beer.

We got there around 10:30 and the place was far from packed. As we coat checked I heard Duchess Says begin their set. They did really well - intensity is their turf - and even tho they ripped a bassline from Sigue Sigue Sputnik's "Shake it up", I really enjoyed their stuff. It sounded - and felt - like a celebration, and singer Annie-Claude's voice yelped in all the right places. Their guitar sound kills !



Next up was Tim Sweeney, host of New York City radio show Beats in Space, of which I'll never say enough good. The guy obviously has taste, and the guests DJ's he invites are always top notch. He started his set with some fine grooves, kept it old school all the way, and ended with Loose Joint's "Is it all over my face", just before The Juan MacLean took the stage. John made his own set-up, in the same humble fashion as James Murphy at SAT a couple of months ago, but he didn't seem confident in his own installation. They had sound problems from the start and the moustached drummer kept requesting more this, more that in his monitor.

However, they gave a pretty good show, were tight as a virgin's orifice and even played "You can't have it both ways". Where was "By the time I get to Venus" ? Dunno.

At one point, Maclean was hitting on a dual cowbell in front of his mic and it sounded pretty good. He brillantly started hitting on his empty beer bottle instead, and of course, at one point, the bottle exploded in multiple tiny pieces that landed on his sound board.



His digital drummer looked like Justin Timberlake, and didn't go unnoticed among the female attendees. I didn't either, taking too many pictures and being my usual drunk self.

Check out The Juan Maclean, Montréal's Duchess Says and Tim Sweeney's Beats In Space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home