Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In Control !

The first time I heard about Chromeo, I was checkin' out Tiga's charts and the name of their first single, "You're so Gangsta", popped in my eyes. Playgroup's Trevor Jackson had made a remix, and I knew it would sound good. However, as is often the case with Turbo, the 12 inch took a mighty long time to be released and by the time it was, I had already seen the boys live.



At the third Neon if I'm not mistaken, Sweden's Peter Benisch was invited to appear under his FPU alias, and opening for him and Tiga were Chromeo. I didn't really like the show. I didn't know the songs, and the funky sounds seem to disrupt the 4/4 flow of the DJ sets. I was left cold. But this feeling wouldn't last long.



When "You're so Gangsta" was released, I bought it, being the Turbo bitch I am. Splendid vocals, irresistible sax solo : I couldn't resist. With its unmistakable bassline, Playgroup's remix also appeared on the "Turbo Studio Sessions Vol.3" double CD compilation, alongside a new track called "Needy Girl". As soon as I heard it all, I was seduced.

*

Chromeo is a duo formed by Dave One & P-Thugg. Funny that a jewish boy and an arab get along so well when the rest of the world can't - that's how powerful their love vibes are. The add used to say that they have the strength & skills of Hall & Oates, "except that you don't secretly suspect they make out". That remains to be seen, boys !



Anyone who has heard their first album, "She's in Control", released on Turbo in 2004, know that they're fuckin' serious about their electro-funk. The songs are not a pastiche or cliché : they're 100% real. The sweat flies on "Rage", and the funk allows you to get low on a cut like "Woman Friend". It's succulent from start to finish, and when it's over you're left asking for more.

Dave One, formerly of hip hop band Shades of Culture, also happens to be A-Trak's older brother. Talent runs in the family ! He pens sweet tunes about girls, romancin' them, narrating his experiences... Pee-Thugg is masterfully handling the talk box, a weird instrument you can only "get" if you happen to see them live. It looks like a tube and needs to be inserted into a mouth, and the result is a cross between a vocoder and Cher's latest vocal manipulations. Thugg is also a mean best-dressed motherfucker ! Last fall I saw the guys perform at Bain Mathieu, opening for Diplo, and he was dressed as a boat's captain !

*

With a new album coming out soon - we hope - and a collaboration with DJ Mehdi (I Am Somebody) currently fighting for a spot in the charts, hot on the heels of the Eskimo-released 2005 "Un Joli Mix Pour Toi", Chromeo are not about to let go. You can catch them live at SAT on Sept. 2nd, as part of the Neon Nights festival. NYC's DJ Lindsey and local Why Alex Why will open, and Peer Pressure presents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home