Saturday, August 19, 2006

Grosse Point Blank

Jeff Grosse has been deejaying in Boston for a few years, honing his skills on the turntables and slowly preparing to invade Montréal's nightlife.

Mr. Grosse would love to be described as a finely tuned machine, or so I am told by his partner Alex Karaivan. I, on the other hand, don't know him that well.

However, I expect this situation to change over the coming months as Jeff makes a name for himself in our little nocturnal microcosm, proving to us demanding Montréalers that he is indeed this sort of polymath of partying, finely tuned or not.

As Diskho, Alex & Jeff helm one of Montréal's most promising party-throwing crew. Diskho sees big, and that's what I like about'em. They don't do settle for less than greatness, as evidenced by the exquisite selection of headliners they've brought to town (Kiko, John Tejada, Matthew Dear & Savas Pascalidis) and the promises of great parties to come (John Dahlbäck on september 15th, and Trentemoller on October 27th).

Since I didn't have much to go on, I decided to ask Monsieur Grosse a few questions in honor of his "sort of Montréal debut", this Sunday at Balroom.


You're currently living in Boston. As Diskho, your partner Alex & you are booking DJs & electronic musicians exclusively in Montréal. What's this love story you've got going with our fair city?

Well basically, Montréal is where I fell in love with electronic
Music (Sona, 1999) and since then I have been traveling to Canada to get my fix. Musically, Boston is about 7.3 years behind what is going on in Montréal. All they play there is boring cookie cutter house. There was always a good scene for electro in Montréal so I saw an opportunity to showcase the artists that I was into, the ones with a more electro/minimal/techy sound. Boston is not ready for these kinds of artists on a large stage.



How did you hook up with the No Excuse crew?

I think it was during the time I was up for our John Tejada night. My memory is a bit foggy on the subject as I had an alcohol transfusion that weekend. Also, Bender plays high quality stuff. That is why I have also involved him in our Dahlbäck night. He has the sound that I was looking for.


You will be playing at Balroom this Sunday, for No Excuse night. I heard you describe the event as your "sort of Montréal debut". What are we to expect this Sunday night?

I'm very excited to play outside of Boston again. You can expect a night of Diskhotek: minimal electro and tech house. The emphasis will be more on the electro and the harder, techier stuff, though. I really can't say for sure, as what I expect to play at a night and what I actually play never really match. It all depends on what is going on inside at the time. It will be fun to be able to play records that don't contain vocals. That is what I have to do in Boston to get the people into it. If you were to hear me play in Boston you would never know it was the same person.

It is my " sort of" Montréal début, because technically I have DJed there before with Kiko & Savas Pascalidis last September. However, I was so shaken that night by the lack of turnout and all the pressures of doing a first party that my head wasn't in it. You live and learn though.

It is sort of a preview of what to expect before John Dahlbäck. Bender and I will be playing at the very beginning of that party so this will give me a chance to play records I normally play, instead of opening records.



Anything you would like to add?

I would just like to thank all of the people who have supported Diskho over this past year. You can expect more of the same in the future. See you on Sunday!

You can catch Jeff Grosse & DJ Bender this Sunday for No Excuse night at Balroom, and at Fonderie Darling with John Dahlbäck on September 15th for Diskho's Clinik night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home