Monday, April 24, 2006

Yet Another Side of Lindstrom

I have long left the thought of sleep behind on this dull April Monday morning, contemplating the week-end's rewarding proceedings, trying to balance them against its equally disconcerting setbacks. I was hoping Lindstrom would help me dilute my story with his hazy shades of Norse electronica, his spectral take on space disco conveying a stillness that always seems timeless, frozen. Like the sun outside, Lindstrom would shine without intensity or warmth.


I was dead wrong, and I'm rightly pissed.

Lindstrom went apeshit with his new 2x12", Another Side of Lindstrom, it seems. He seriously funked things up a notch, bringing in bigger badder beats and more variation than I ever thought possible on a Lindstrom record. This disco storm landed straight on my unsuspecting ears, pulling me out of my self-pitying stretch along the way. Where are those unfulfilling build ups, so reminiscent of everyday life? How the hell am I supposed to be a troubled artist now, Lindsy, listening to this groovy monster collection of hits?

Let me put it this way: I want to go plant flowers and dance in the morning dew. How am I supposed to fit that in with my busy schedule of brooding and hard drinking, pal?

Nevertheless, our favorite multi-instrumentalist from Oslo shows he's got the skills to pay the bills, and as rumor has it he needs to pay them bills bad, so he's put about every instrument imaginable to work on this record. Perhaps the absence of usual production partner Prins Thomas explains the record's lack of floating futuristic dramatics or bubbly overbearing peppiness, as well as its sharper focus on pure grooves?

Whatever the case may be, fans of future jazz, space disco, post-funk and electro acid soul suicide conga (why not!), go grab these monster plates of solid gold vinyl booty shakers while they're still red hot.

Recommended to fans of Buddy Rich, Isaac Hayes, Uzeb and The New Deal. NOT for tortured souls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home