Thursday, June 25, 2009

5 questions for... Stimming



Martin Stimming needs no introduction. Those who haven't heard his finely crafted productions, mainly released by Hamburg's label Diynamic, must have been living under a rock for the last two years or so. He has also released music on Freerange, Buzzin' Fly and liebe*detail, and is currently touring the world with a unique live set mixing his own productions and remixes. He also just released an immensely beautiful debut album, Reflections.


You have been praised repeatedly by the press as an artists with a unique sound. In this music industry where it's quite difficult to come up with something original, how does that feel ?
It feels very good, because I see that at least a couple of people seem to understand what I'm doing. You know, I'm playing all my percussions by myself, especially for the album - there is about 70% handmade, which I'm very proud of... But for the usual techno listener, it doesn't sound enough like machines. But I love the little mistakes I do.


Have you taken many latin vacations lately ? Your sound is unusually warm, for a german guy.
Haha, no I didn't, but I prefer a warm and deep sound. I like the aesthetics of house and the energy of techno - thats what I'm trying to combine. And Hamburg doesn't have very nice weather, so escaping is the thing.



How is the dynamic between all Diynamic guys ?
Very good - we're good friends and in a way it feels like a family. With great dynamics.


I heard you in Miami in March at the Diynamic Vs Poker Flat party... how did you enjoy your Miami experience, overall ?
I'm not sure if I should be honest because in a way it was a waste of time. The only venue which I really liked was (The Ice Palace for) Sunday School, and especially Marco Carola's set, which was the bomb! But all the stuff before wasn't very inspiring, and shaking Hawtin's hand and getting just a tired (not even a) smile back wasn't such a good experience (but i can understand him, i would have done that also). But I was there with my mates from Diynamic, which was very good.



What's next for you ?
New releases, moving on to a more complex and radical form than before. Ha! I came to stay, as I always say.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LEGEND

Friday, December 11, 2009 10:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home