Thursday, October 26, 2006

Trentemoller Interview

Denmark's Anders Trentemoller has had an undeniable impact on the global electronic music-scene. First attracting the attention of genre DJs with his subtle-yet-driving productions, it was with his unmatched remix work that he soon earned the respect of pretty much anyone who's got an ear for good music.

We were lucky to exchange a few words with Anders Trentemoller just as he is about to make his Montréal début…


Q.: What was your introduction to music, and what made you decide you wanted to be a musician?

I have always been playing music. I started playing piano when I was 5 or 6 years old. As long as I can remember, I have always been dreaming about being a musician.


Q.: Your production style is very unique. What are your current musical influences ? Is there a particular artist or label you like more than the others ?

I listen to a lot of different music. From classic to folk to rock to electronic. I’m a big musiclover (-: ! But actually I’m not listening that much to dancemusic. I’m influenced by artists like Mazzy Star, Velvet Underground, Murcof, Rhythm & Sound, The Cure, Thom Yorke etc. The list could go on.

While working on The Last Resort I was, and still am, listening a lot to Mazzy Star. I never get tired of Hope Sandoval’s voice. It’s so captivating.


Q.: You were revealed to a wide underground audience, in North America at least, by remixing Royksopp's "What Else is There". Do you feel that your new fans might be misled by how your remixes sound, as opposed to your usually subtler and more minimal approach when producing your own songs? Speaking of remixes, is there an artist you'd like to remix ?

Yeah, I can see that my remixes may have a bit of a different sound. I have never actually thought about it, but I still think that both my remixes and my own stuff has the same "Trentemoller" vibe. In fact, I think it’s good sometimes to "mislead" the listeners, to surprise them. It’s also a bit what I have done with The Last Resort.

I would love to remix any tune by Hope Sandoval!! Heheheh...


Q.: Your new album differs drastically from what we've become ascustomed to hear from you as well. In fact, The Last Resort has at times more of a downtempo feel. What motivated you to head in such a completely different direction?

I don’t see the album as a downtempo album. There are still tracks in the same tempo as my earlier work, and it’s not a chill out thing either. You are right that it’s more a listening album, but it still has tracks that you actually can dance to.

That being said, I wanted to do an album that was 100% me. Artistic freedom was very important for me. I wanted to do an album that would be like a journey into my musical world, but I also saw it as some kind of soundtrack to a movie playing inside my head: different stories, moods, "scenes", etc. Making the album was a very personal thing for me, like some kind of meditation or therapy. It was a very lonely process making the album. The music on the album reflects my life, my thoughts, my needs, my unsecureness, my longings etc.

Making this kind of music is a way, for me, to get all these thoughts and emotions out. I don’t know any other way to do it that works so effectively.

When I make music I don't think about which genre it is or any target group. I just make music I feel like making. It's actually quite simple.


Q.: To produce an album that is the polar opposite of what people are expecting of you can only be stressful. Yet, so far, the album was very well received by the music press and fans alike. How do you deal with expectations, and criticism both positive and negative?

To be honest, I’m making music for my own pleasure first, so I have not felt any pressure at all while making this album. I think it was fun to give people something they did not expect, because I felt that The Last Resort is the best I have done so far. It’s much more me, much more personal. So when techno-heads thinks the album is boring it’s ok with me. You can’t please everyone anyway (-:


Q.: Listening to your music, one could always feel that your creative process was backed by a wide musical culture. With your album, this becomes apparent to a new extent: was there any particular direction you were trying to give to The Last Resort, a blueprint if you will, or did you simply go with the flow?

The album became melancholic because I just tried to let the music flow. I tried to make it multi-layered, having something beautiful but then again underneath that a more darker vibe going on. I love when you hear an album and you can go back and discover new small details in the music.


Q.: You recently remixed a song for the Pet Shop Boys, "The Sodom & Gomorrah Show". How exactly did you end up remixing a pop band from the '80s new single?

It was very simple actually! Their manager just emailed me and said that the band asked if I would like to remix their next single. Of course I was very grateful that they wanted me to do that, so I said yes and 2 weeks later they had the remix.


Q.: Any idea how we can add the bar in the 'O' on a western keyboard? It seems like it would be a good way to show off.

Hehehehehe…I actually don’t know!


Q.: Where do you see yourself five years from now?

Oh, it’s hard to say. Hopefully still making music!


Q.: What can montrealers expect from one of your sets ? Do you go "Dahlbäck-style" and mostly play your own tracks?

Yeah, I think 80 % is my own stuff. Some unreleased tracks and the rest is bootlegs and edit I have done…


Q.: Anything you would like to add?

I am just looking forward to play in Canada!!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home