Wednesday, April 29, 2009

5 questions for... Markus Fix

With only half a dozen EPs under his belt, Markus Fix has already made a huge splash on the european house revival scene, was booked at Cocoon this coming summer, and has established a fresh sound that's heavy on the percussions and rich in groove. He's been DJing for a while but is rather new to production. Cecille, Love Letters From Oslo and Be Chosen are three labels that have released his tracks, and our guess is that you'll hear a lot more from this guy in the near future.



You were brough to international attention and a lot of DJ’s charts with a split EP you released with Robert Dietz on Cécille Numbers, “Bo Boston / Shunsowers”. Did you expect the tracks to do so well ? Were you surprised ?

Robert, the Cecille Crew and me had known that this EP was a strong one, but I was still surprised that the EP worked so well. We had a lot of amazing feedback before the release. Robert made this really fantastic track (Shunsower) and the label heads from Cecille were looking for another strong track for the flipside. At this time I had just finished my track “Bo Boston” and gave it to the label, and we all thought that the combination was perfect.

There’s a huge house music revival going on right now in Germany. What city would you say is the epicenter of the phenomena ?

It's difficult to say which city is the epicentre, but a lot of stuff comes from Frankfurt and Mannheim at the moment, so maybe this was a start for new house music in Germany. In the last three years we had a lot of minimal-techno and I think it is pretty normal that people are getting bored of it… So we were at the right time and in the right place to release fresh music. Another good fact is that we are all friends (Reboot, Robert Dietz, Chris Tietjen, Federico Molinari, Vera, Dorian Paic, Sascha Dive), we are a really big crew, and had a lot of output in the past year, but it is up to you to say that RHEIN/MAIN was the epicenter…

What’s your favorite label of the moment ?

I am really surprised about the comeback of Robsoul at the moment. They release great house music, so this is my favourite label right now. When I started as a DJ, I bought a lot of Robsoul vinyls, but then they changed their style, and I dissociated myself from their music. Now they're back in the game with a lot of music I am familiar with. But Oslo, Cecille and Raum…Musik are favourites as well.



Which artists would you say are your bigger inspiration, and why ?

Jean-Michel Jarre was the first producer I saw “live”, and it was one of the magic moments in my life; a huge wall with synthesizers, and all that really wired music. That was a wonderful experience. I also think Moby is a great producer - I prefer when people are good producers and good performers as well. Hardware drum machines or synthesizers are like instruments (piano, guitar, drums) for these guys.

What’s the best reason to live in Frankfurt ?

Frankfurt is an absolutely fantastic city to live in, with a lot of different people, a lot of nice stores, and good clubs too. We have typical food like “Frankfurter Würstchen” and “Grüne Sauce”, very tasty. I love the skyline, our record store “Freebase-Records”, and the fact that all of my friends are living in Frankfurt too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home